I hope the following is helpful to those of you looking for biographical information about me. There is a short ‘bio’ and photo of me at the very end just for conference organisers!
Simon Denegri, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) National Director for Patients and the Public in Research.
I was appointed the National Institute for Health Research’s (NIHR) National Director for Patients and the Public in Research in 2012. I was Chair of INVOLVE – the national advisory group for the promotion and support of public involvement in research funded by NIHR – from 2011 to 2017.
Prior to this I was Chief Executive of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) from 2006 until 2011. This followed a three-year stint as director of corporate communications at the Royal College of Physicians of London from 2003 to 2006. Before this I was assistant chief executive at the Alzheimer’s Society (UK) from 2002 to 2003. I also worked for the Society from 1992 until 1997 becoming its first head of public affairs. Between 1997 and 2000 I worked as Procter & Gamble’s Corporate and Financial PR Manager based at the company’s headquarters in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. On my return I took up a post as director of communications at the Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health.
I write and speak on issues concerning the public, health research and democracy. Particular areas of interest include: public involvement in research; co-production; public attitudes to science; approaches to public dialogue; use of online and digital media for public involvement and engagement; health research regulation; the pharma industry; dementia and mental health.
I love travelling and also enjoy writing poetry, listening to and playing music (guitar), going to the cinema and theatre, and gardening – which is just as well as I am an amateur weather enthusiast. I am a passionate supporter of Crystal Palace Football Club and have a season ticket in the Holmesdale Upper.
I studied politics and legislative studies at the University of Hull,
- Lay Champions Group, Join Dementia Research (JDR), 2012 –2016
- UK Clinical Trials Gateway (UKCTG) Project Board 2013 -2017
- NIHR CLAHRC North Thames International Expert Advisory Board 2014 –
- Patient and Public Involvement Strategic Group, North Thames Genomic Medicine Centre (GMC) 2015 –
- NIHR UCLH BRC Public Involvement Theme Lead, 2017 –
Boards and Committee Memberships (current)
- Member, NIHR Advisory Board, 2010 –
- Member, NIHR Strategy Board, 2011 –
- Member, NIHR Greater Manchester Primary Care Patient Safety Translational Research Centre, 2013-2017
- Member, Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD) External Advisory Group, 2013 – 2016
- Member, care.data Programme Board, 2014 – 2016
- Member, British Medical Journal (BMJ) Patient Advisory Group, 2014 –
- Member, Farr Institute International Advisory Board, 2014 – 2017
- Member, COMET Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement Working Group, 2015 –
- Member, WEB-RADR Project Advisory Board, 2015 –
- Member, Open Trials Advisory Board, 2015 –
- Member, EPSRC MeDe Innovation External Advisory Board, 2015 –
- Member, UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC) Board, 2006 –
- Gold Member, Crystal Palace Football Club Season Ticket Holder
- Member, International Journal for Engagement and Involvement, 2015 – (also reviewer)
- Member, Research for All, 2015 –
- Member, Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) Adjudication Panel for Support for Patient Orientated Research (SPOR) Units 2012 –
- Member, International Advisory Board for The Farr Institute of Health Informatics Research 2014 – 2017
- Member, Patient and Public Involvement Advisory Board for the EU Joint Programme, Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) 2014 –
- Member, International Association for Participation (IAP) International Awards Judge 2015
- Reviewer, ‘Violence and Abuse in Childhood and Adolescence’ Funding Initiative, German Federal Government, 2017
- Reviewer, Newton Prize, 2017 –
- In 2017 I visited and presented at events in Canada, USA, Australia and France.
Reviews (current first)
- Member, Academy of Medical Sciences (AMS) ‘Evaluating evidence in health’ Oversight Group 2015 – 2017
- Contributor, Accelerated Access Review, 2015 – 2016
- Member, ‘Research into factors affecting public engagement by researchers’ Steering Group, 2014 – 2015
- Chair, ‘Breaking the Boundaries’ strategic review of public involvement in NIHR research (2014/5); report and recommendations published as ‘Going the Extra Mile: a strategic review of public involvement in the NIHR,’ 2014 – 2015
- Chair, Review of the Coalition for Medical Progress (CMP)/Research Defence Society (RDS) future activities relating to animal research, 2008
Simon Denegri is National Director for Patients and the Public in Research at the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). He was Chair of INVOLVE – the national advisory group for the promotion and support of public involvement in research funded by NIHR – from 2011 unttil 2017. He was Chief Executive of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) from 2006 until 2011 and, prior to this, Director of Corporate Communications at the Royal College of Physicians from 2003. He also worked in corporate communications for Procter & Gamble in the United States from 1997 to 2000. He has a long-standing personal and professional interest in the needs and priorities of people with dementia and their families. He writes and speaks extensively about community and public involvement in health and social care and blogs at http://simon.denegri.com/ He also writes poetry which he publishes at http://otherwiseknownasdotcom.wordpress.com/